Thursday, July 16, 2009

I'm back



Well I survived yet another brain surgery, let's hope it's the last. I think Kevin gave you a pretty good report, and that's that the surgeons as well as the entire medical staff that took care of me did a FANTASTIC job. I have to brag about the anesthesia department, my do those guys know how to do a great job. To come out of surgery without throwing up gallons of blood was a plus. I was sure than when I woke up I hadn't even had surgery yet. I don't have any kind of packing in my nose, and just with the normal eye, you can't even tell that I had surgery. I am telling you, miracles were performed.

The most painful part of the surgery was getting the screws in place. I did this the day before surgery, and got myself so worked up about getting them that when it came for the appointment, I was beyond nervous. I did fairly well until I saw part of my hair falling to the ground. They did have to cut some of my hair in order to place the screws. I know that I have plenty of hair but it was still hard seeing my locks coming off in clumps. I have a new appreciation for chemo patients and I can't imagine having to go through what they do. Surprisingly getting the screws in place didn't hurt as much as I imagined it would. They numbed up the areas well and then put the screws in. After the numbing agent wore off after a few hours was when the real pain set in. It also didn't help that I hit one of the screws on the car door, and so it started bleeding profusely. Kevin had to apply some pressure to stop the bleeding, and I though that I was going to go through the roof. It hurt so bad! Sleeping with the screws in also wasn't comfortable at all. They also had to put some round stickers all over my face. I really looked like an alien, it was quite entertaining to walk through the hospital and see people's reaction to me.

Surgery took about four hours, and all went well. The Neurosurgeon was happy with the size of the tumor that he was able to remove. My wish was granted and I was able to leave the hospital within 24 hours. I don't know what it is about being in a hospital that I hate so bad, but I am always determined to get out as fast as I can. I am taking it easy, and have been sleeping a lot. I hate taking pain pills but I am taking them anyway. I will be following up in six weeks with a radiation/oncologist for more lovely treatment. They have talked about doing the gamma knife but I am not exactly sure which route of radiation that we are going to try for sure. When the Neurosurgeon came to see me after surgery, he told me that I should be a poster child for this surgery because he said that I had a huge smile on my face after coming out of surgery. I thought that was so funny. I wonder what other crazy things I did during surgery. I know right before I went into surgery, I told him that he better take the * * * * screws out of my head. I got the screws out and now have staples to deal with instead.

Well, it's time to rest so I better go. We are truly blessed, and I can't help but think that one of the reasons that we were sent out to Tennessee was for me to receive such excellent medical care. Vanderbilt has one of the top pituitary clinics in the world. How amazing is that?

13 comments:

Papa Paradigm said...

Yeah! I'm so happy to see you back home and on the road to recovery.

Anonymous said...

That is amazing Trisha. I am glad that you were able to come home so soon & hope that things continue to go smoothly.

Thank you for emailing me the night before your surgery. You're a sweetheart.

I would call, but I know you're probably getting a lot of calls & visitors. I'll be keeping an eye on your blog for updates. Love ya!

Brianne said...

I am so glad that things went well Trisha. I have been thinking about you!

Traylor Family said...

Trisha you crack me up. When Jenna told me you were home I started laughing. Only YOU would go home 24 hours after giving birth to twins and then less than a year later go home 24 hours after brain surgery. How in the world?????? I wish I had a piece of your determination. Simply put you're amazing. Sorry I missed your call earlier. I tried to call back but maybe you're on the phone? I was taking advantage of a quiet house and napping!

Camie said...

It was so good to talk to you :) Im glad everything went so well and you were able to come home so soon.

Asher and Amy said...

So any restrictions on food? So happy you are doing well and are home.

Harris House said...

You are amazing Trisha!

Unknown said...

I am amazed at how nice you look in the pictures, even with screws in your head. You are amazing!! Hopefully this will be the last time for this kind of surgery.

The Cobells said...

Oh, Trisha, I'm so glad your home and that everything went so well. I will keep checking your blog. Take is easy, love you
K

Andrea Holley said...

I can't believe you're home already! It's great to read your post here. I'm so glad that everything went well. Sleep while you can :)

Lana said...

so glad to see you. Keep resting and getting better!!

Anonymous said...

So glad that you are doing well. Only you would make it out in 24 hours. So happy that things are going well.

Jessica said...

I am so glad your surgery went well! My prayers are with you that it will be the last one. The screws look too familiar having my sister in law do the same thing in the spring. You are so strong and I know you will come through this!!