Friday, April 24, 2009

Rachel and her fight with MS


To know Rachel is to love her, and anyone who knows her would definitely agree. Rachel and I became great friends several years ago while living in the great cinderblock apartments at the University Of Utah. Our friendship has remained constant, and she has been such a great source of inspiration to me.
Rachel was diagonosed with Multiple Sclerosis 11 years ago, and through it all she just remains positive. Here is a story that Rachel wrote about having MS.

Everyone hates to have a rock in their sandal, you notice it immediately and the first few seconds are spent wiggling your feet or kicking your sandal to get the rock out...I have had a proverbial rock in my sandal since Easter of 1998. I was a month shy of my 20th birthday and had come home from college for the weekend, but with a weird symptom (numbness in my right hand that interfered with daily life). I told my parents who took me to the doctor and a slew of tests later, I was given my humbling diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis. I remember the day as clear as if it were yesterday, the sky was gray and I think my sisters looked at me just a little differently and my parents gave me unconditional, yet nervous hugs. The symptoms disappeared after 3 weeks and a follow-up appointment with MRI showed the lesions had resolved. Three years later, married, in the middle of nursing school I had my second “noticeable” attack, this time with tingling down my legs when I bowed my head. After consulting with my nurse friends I went to the doctor and was advised to start medication; but, my husband and I wanted to have kids--we were given a month to "try" and got Jorden, I believe it was meant to be. I was very stubborn though and wanted to breastfeed, against the advice of my doctor. I didn't go back to the clinic. I enjoyed my day-to-day life, trying not to think about 'it", any little things that made me stop and wonder 'is this an attack?' were brushed under the rug in my subconscious.When Jorden was three years old I gave birth to our second son, Cameron, things were great, and I went back to work part-time as a nurse in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit and just took care of my family and home.Thanksgiving 2005 was not all about the turkey, I had another attack, but this time it affected my walking, my left leg felt like lead every time I would get up from sitting or laying down, I would have to grab the wall to steady myself, the symptoms only lasted 10-20 seconds, but it happened every time I got up, I was scared. The fear itself was disabling....I looked at my young, young boys and cried wondering if I would be able to take care of them....I didn't hold anything back, I told my husband and my in-laws and knew that the 8 years of denial would have to stop. I went to my doctor and with a lot of prayer and faith knew that starting one of the MS disease-modifying drugs was the right choice, I chose Copaxone because it was the one I knew I could still breastfeed my baby with.The symptoms disappeared, just like the others and I have been giving my daily “pinch” (as Jorden calls it) for about a month, they still sting and I hope it is doing it's job... These last few months have probably been the most emotional and trying months of my life thus far. I know my husband is scared, he worries about me and wonders what the future holds, but he loves me dearly. So, hopefully someday there will be a cure and others, especially my children or grandchildren won't be plagued with the fear, uncertainty, pain and frustration, won’t be plagued with the "rock" that we have dealt with

Rachel is my rock, and I look up to her in so many ways. Thank you for being such a great friend Rach!






No comments: