Wednesday, September 16, 2009

smoking stinks

My little Kelsie has had this weird obsession I guess you could say about seeing people smoking. One day as we were out running some errands she says to me, "Look at that guy, he has a smoke stick." I couldn't figure out at first quite what she meant. Finally I realized that she was referring to cigarettes as smoke sticks. She sees "smoke sticks" everywhere and is quick to point them out, and then to add her own comments about how smoking is a bad habit, why you don't want your lungs to turn black, how if you smoke you are going to die, etc... You get the idea. All the general comments that a four year old would make.

So this week I found a candy story that is pretty new to the area. They carry about every kind of candy imaginable but their speciality is vintage candy. Candy you wouldn't be able to find elsewhere; including things like candy cigarettes. For some reason the cigarettes caught my eye. I immediately picked up a box and placed them in my basket. I guess I really wanted to bring them home for Kevin as sort of a joke. ( They were his favorite candy as a kid okay.) I get the cigarettes home, and the kids immediately ask about them. We tell them that they are candy smoke sticks. I know, it's a little hypocritical telling your kids that they shouldn't smoke and then preceding to let them eat candy cigarettes. We are bad parents what can we say?

Does anyone else remember having these? or were your parents actually better examples than we are, and didn't let you touch the things.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes! I remember having them. There used to be a little bakery down the road from my grandma's house. She would give us money to go down and buy candy. Really, the penny candy was my absolute favorite. Pop rocks were good, too. Sometimes I would get the cigarette candies. They had some type of powder in them, blowing on them would make some of the powder come out. Funny. I am glad they don't have them as often anymore.

Braden Bell said...

I loved those things! I'm not sure if I got them from my mom--probalby not, but I loved them

Traylor Family said...

I Loved those too. We used to buy them at the liquor store on our way home from school on the days we went to our moms. My dad found out and we were busted! He was sooo mad about it. Jeremy won't let Lucas near them either. Oh well.

The Cobells said...

Carter now pretends with sticks and he says "mom it's ok, I'm just pretending" He knows they are bad. Kids are funny

Nashville Stolle said...

I'm a definite fan... I think Randy isn't. I wonder what that means for my kids? Where is this store?