Monday, September 28, 2009

Audrey Badaudrey





Well, we needed something to call Audrey for short and couldn't come up with much so Alyssa decided to start calling her Audrey Badaudrey. It works I guess, and so the name has stuck.

Just like Kevin wasn't set on having a daughter named Leah, I wasn't set on having a daughter named Audrey. It sounded really old-fashioned to me, and I just didn't really like the name in all honesty. When Kevin and I were living in student housing, we were the nursery teachers in our old ward. We had the cutest little girl named Audrey in our class, and we loved her dearly. She was the smartest little girl too. Anyway, so it wasn't that the name Audrey rubbed me wrong because of someone I didn't like named Audrey or anything. I just didn't envision naming our daughter Audrey. Well, it worked out great, and we had a baby for each of us to name. Kevin chose Audrey, and I chose Leah. It turns out that Audrey is quite a popular name here in the south. Everywhere we go it seems as though we are always running into another little girl named Audrey. The name has definitely grown on me, and this little girl along with her sisters have a special place in my heart.

Audrey continues to follow the pattern of our older girls where she is not wanting to crawl or stand on her own yet. She has the army crawl down pat but that's about all that she is interested in at the moment as far as developmental skills are concerned. I mentioned before that our pediatrician was worried about her head size. Her head is in the 97% percentile, where her weight is only in the 50%. I wasn't worried so much about it because she follows in the same pattern as Alyssa and Kelsie did when they were little, and eventually their big heads caught up with the rest of their bodies. My pediatrician would not stop talking about her head size, and every time I would take her in for a check-up she would mention time and time again how worried she was about Audrey's head. She even thought that her forehead looked like it was protruding. Also she was concerned that Audrey's soft spot was not closing, and really wanted Audrey to undergo an MRI to make sure that she didn't have anything wrong with her. I didn't feel like an MRI was necessary, nor did I feel it was necessary to sedate a ten month old child for a major expensive test and asked her if there was anything else that we could try instead. She agreed to let us try an ultrasound instead. Well, we went ahead and did the ultrasound and Audrey passed with flying colors. Everything in that big head of hers looks wonderful. There are no abnormalities whatsoever except for the fact that because she is a twin, she is constantly getting compared to her sister by our pediatrician. If Audrey is not doing everything exactly like Leah is doing then there seems to be cause for concern. I know not to worry because even though they are twins, they are not going to do everything alike all of the time. They have always been complete opposites and I don't mind one bit. I like that they have their own looks and their own personalities. It's been a lot of fun watching them grow up, and I am a little sad to think that they will be turning one year old in 6 weeks. Where has the time gone? I have really tried to make sure that their first year wasn't just a blur in my memory, and to be honest there were times when it probably was, and other times just seemed so perfectly normal. I sometimes think of my life before my twins came into it, and it seemed as though I was more stressed out then. With having twins, I have learned to slow down more, and to take time to smell the roses. I have learned to let things go, and that the most important job that I can be doing right now is raising these four little girls who soon won't be so little anymore. One lady who has also has twin girls said to me the other day, "Don't worry, soon your babies will be going to kindergarten like mine, and it really does get better." I just looked and her and said, "I am not ready to send them to kindergarten." Seriously, I can't think of that right now. I just am trying to enjoy each moment with my girls.

3 comments:

Chalen said...

Geez, my girls' aren't even twins and everyone including their doctors compare them, their progress and their milestones. It gets so annoying. They are totally different people, leave them alone. I thought it might get better as they got older, but not much has changed as of yet.

Anonymous said...

Your pediatrician would totally stress me out. Some kids just have big noggins. Damian totally takes after his dad and has a huge melon :)

Jessica said...

They are so cute. I think its great that you each got to name them what you wanted. If I had twin girls maybe then I would get Julia in there somehow. lol Enjoy them, it is too fast.