Tuesday, June 9, 2009


My favorite reading material of all times is cookbooks. I can read a cookbook from cover to cover over and over again. I love just going through all of the different recipes and deciding what I would like to cook. When I heard that a new cookbook was coming out called the worldwide ward cookbook, I knew that this was the book for me. Ward cookbooks are my favorite. What I love the most about them is that the recipes are tried and true, and they mostly have foods that people would actually eat.

If you enjoy cooking and want a really good cookbook with some delicious and simple recipes, this cookbook is for you. Tonight we made chicken fajitas, homemade salsa which was the best salsa I have ever tasted in my life, and then for desert we made layered mint brownies. Because I am so nice, I am going to give you the recipes for the brownies, and the salsa. The fajita recipe is not from this cookbook. This cookbook is a definite must have. Enjoy some good food. I know that we will. Kelsie and Alyssa helped me make dinner, and they also helped make desert. Kelsie's reply after dinner was this, "Mom, can we make something from this book tomorrow?" We definitely will.
The world's best salsa
1 4-oz can chopped green chile's
2 14-oz cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. vinegar
fresh tomatoes, chopped, to taste
scallions, sour cream, and grated cheese for garnish
Place all ingredients except fresh tomatoes and garnishes in a blended. Set on chop setting and blend until barely chopped. Pour in bowl. Add fresh chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle with some chopped green onions, a dollop of sour cream, and a little grated cheese
*I made this without the garnish on top and it was perfect. I don't know that I would add the sour cream and cheese on the top unless you liked it that way.
Layered mint chocolate brownies
Brownie:
1 c. butter, melted
2/3 c. cocoa powder
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. flour
mint frosting:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 lb. powdered sugar
1-3 T. milk
1/2 t. peppermint extract
green food coloring
chocolate topping:
1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. butter
Brownie:
Mix butter, cocoa, and sugar; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Stir in flour. Spread into a greased 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
Mint Frosting:
Mix butter and powdered sugar. Add only enough milk to make a smooth consistency. Add mint extract and enough food coloring for a light green color. Frosting will be thick. Spread over brownie layer. Refrigerate until firm.
Chocolate topping:
Melt chocolate chips and butter in microwave for 2-3 minutes. Stir well to combine. Pour over frosted brownies, covering frosting completely. Refrigerate until topping is set and hardened. Let brownies sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into 24 small squares with sharp knife.


6 comments:

ApRil & Heath said...

I know where I am coming for dinner.. I wish! Can you please give me cooking lessons?!?! MY future husband will starve to death if you dont! :) posted pics of your boyfriend.. dont drool too much, I catch myself when I look at his pictures.. he's a hunka hunka love! :)

The Cobells said...

oh, ya. That sounds good, I'll have that.

Braden Bell said...

Hmmm....we may change your calling!

Jessica Newman said...

Yum-O! I am totally making that salsa! Also...I am really not a flake, Mia fell asleep after I talked to you on Monday!

Unknown said...

Okey dokey, we are coming over for dinner...
You are the best cook in the world, and I am right there with you, I love cookbooks, my most used cookbook is the cooking basics I got for a wedding present, it hasn't let me down yet!
;)

Nashville Stolle said...

I have to admit it- I usually only try recipes that I read on people's blogs. When I was in college I only tried new recipes from cooking class. We needed something new, so big thanks for posting it up!! I'm going to cally ou soonf or something fun to do!