Sunday, May 24, 2009

Not just an ordinary Sunday


I dread Sunday's as I have mentioned many times before and today was no exception. Another Sunday of thinking about taking four kids to church alone yet again. Today I just wasn't in the mood for church to be honest and so the simplest solution to this was going to be staying home. The morning was smooth sailing, and I was just enjoying a nice peaceful morning of doing absolutely whatever I felt like. That was however short lived when my little four year old starting asking about when she could take a bath because she wanted to be clean for church. I simply told her that we would not be going to church today, and you would have thought that I told her that Santa Claus wasn't coming by the look of her face. I replayed the past few Sunday's in my mind and still was convinced that there was no way that we were going to relive one of those today.

Kelsie got her bath and after she got out of the bath, I soon found her getting a dress down from her closet and preceding to get ready for church anyway regardless of what I was telling her. During this time my oldest daughter was in my room watching a slide show that she had found about Jesus. Kelsie soon joined Alyssa and the two of them were discussing the video.

Random thoughts were again running through my mind, and I couldn't help but marvel at these two little girls who were trying so hard to be obedient in spite of their Mother's stubbornness. I had a complete change of heart about church, and thought that if I didn't make it to church today, I would never in a million years live this experience down.

We quickly got ready for church and surprisingly everyone was in a good mood even me. Kelsie assured me that she would even go to primary today. She hasn't been now for several weeks and so I was excited to hear her say this.

As I walked into church, the spirit was so strong. I knew that I really needed to be there today. My babies weren't sure that they needed to be there as they cried throughout most of sacrament meeting but that's okay. I was so touched with the talks that were given. I was also touched as I watched the wife of a newly baptized member cry as her husband was blessing the sacrament for the very first time. I wondered how many times I had taken the gospel fore granted but yet for some people, they had been searching their entire lives for this gospel.

After sacrament meeting, Kelsie began to cry and I knew that again she wasn't going to go to primary. Quickly our bishop's wife came over and asked if Kelsie could help her in primary. Kelsie agreed and actually went with her to primary ALONE! I was so proud of her. More importantly, she stayed in primary without crying. MEREDITH YOU ARE AMAZING! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I am so grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord, and I know that he really is watching over us. Even when we think that we can't go another day, he is there beside us giving us that extra push.

I hope to be a better example to my girls, I really am going to work on that!


7 comments:

The Cobells said...

Wow, kids are amazing! I hope you have a better day. Hang in there your an amazing mother!

Harris House said...

Trisha, thank you so much for writing this! I am touched by what you said here. The gospel is SO important to me, and I too, sometimes take it for granted. I appreciate the example of you and your girls.
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Trisha,
Wow, I am so touched by your words. We have had such an amazing response from people about Sunday that we are kind of overwhelmed! Thank you for your beautiful words from your point of view....And, I was going to tell you this on Sunday, if you EVER need help with the kids let me know, it is my calling in life!!! I do it every day and I am CHEAP! Please don't hesitate to call me if you ever need a break, even if it is just to run to the grocery store!! Love you!

Diana Sims said...

Trisha, church just wouldn't be the same with you and your little girls! Everyone enjoys seeing you there! :)

Braden Bell said...

So glad it worked out!!! Let us know what help you need to make this work. The whole ward is happy to help.

Jessica said...

That would be so hard to take four kids and twins too to church alone. You are amazing what you do. Your girls gave you a wonderful gift because you taught them so well. I have a neighbor who has 4 small kids and a non-member spouse who can't bare to take them alone to church anymore and I can't imagine how hard it would be. I did it for a year when Robert worked and I had Emily as a baby and I dreaded Sundays too. I am glad you had a good day and hope that your load is lightened each week.

Amanda said...

Aw, Trisha that is so sweet!! You must have taught your girls well.