Wednesday, February 25, 2009

tumor update

I had an appointment today with the chief of neurosurgery, talk about a smart doctor. He was so good about explaining things to me, and even without Kevin being there I knew exactly what he was talking about. He explained to me that if they do surgery again, the chance of my pituitary becoming non-functional is pretty much a guarantee. I would then have to be on some type of hormone replacement therapy for the rest of my life. As I mentioned before because of where the tumor is located even having surgery would not remove all of the tumor. The doctor feels at this time that oral medication is going to be the best treatment. He wants me to try taking the medication for 3-6 months, after which I will have another MRI, and we will see at that point where we are at. The neurosurgeon has done over 1900 surgeries involving pituitary tumors. With my particular tumor he has only seen about 4 of these cases. As I have learned, you never want to be a rare case in the medical industry.

I am just hopeful that the medication will work, and that we can avoid another surgery. I am grateful for modern medicine and for doctor's who have such advanced training and knowledge.
Maybe I will be staying at the opryland hotel after all.

6 comments:

Joyce said...

I have stayed there(at the Hotel), and it is MUCH more fun than having surgery (I've tried both, and really preferred the hotel). Good luck on the medication. Keep us all posted.

Karen said...

You're the bravest girl I know. We're thinking of you!

Braden Bell said...

You are very brave and we all love you and are praying for all the Preeces. Keep me posted--and let's talk soon.

Katelyn Marie Taylor said...

We are wishing everything works as you want it to. I'd much rather take on medication for month rather than another surgery. your in our prayers and we love you!

Pete and Mare said...

Hi Trisha! That you so much for finding me and for giving me a call tonight!! A few years back Pete and I did our first and last attempt at IVF-ISY in California. Since then old freinds often have to bring me up to date before I remember things before then(sorry but I'm really serious about it. It's kind of stressful trying to remember but only having feelings about people.) It didn't take long and all my great memories of you came flooding back. You are a very special woman!! Truly you are amazing and have such a clear head on your shoulders! You were such a strength to me at a not so easy time, thank you!

I love your blog! You are such a sweet mom and wife! Very sweet to get to peek into your life this way. I am so glad that we are reconnected aging through fb. I look very forward to keeping in touch over time.

Last but not least, I am VERY sorry to hear about your tumor. Is there anything that I can do to help you right now? I am so happy that the chief of neurosurgery reviewed your case and has a plan. What a blessing! We will be praying for you and hoping that this medication will help and by the time you take your MRI things will be fully on track.

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk with me tonight. Until our next chat, take care.

Great big hug,
~ Marilee (Mare)

Jessica said...

Trisha, I am sorry about the tumor struggles. We have been a witness to my sister in laws problems as well. She has had her surgery that was a hard recovery, but is pulling through it. I hope the meds they give you will do what they should and there will be no worries. HUGS you are a very strong person and an awesome spouse that is very supportive of you. It will be okay, keep us updated.