Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Superwoman I think NOT!

I am sitting here again at my computer when I should be doing so many other things like cleaning, making Alyssa's lunch for tomorrow, paying bills, and just the other mundane things that I am normally doing while my four girls are asleep. Instead, I am sitting here stressed to the max worrying about this stupid brain tumor. My treatment options are simply this, I can take an injectible drug once a month for the rest of my life along with some other oral drugs in hopes of my tumor shrinking. Problem being the injections alone are $10.000.00 a year. I don't know about you but I don't have that kind of money to just be throwing around on medication that doctor's aren't even sure are going to work. They speculate that there would only be about a 15% chance of the medication even doing anything for this tumor that I have. Second choice is to go right to surgery and hope that the second time goes better than the first. Because of the where the tumor is located surgery at this point is not even a guarantee. Part of the tumor is on the cavernous sinus which basically just means that because the tumor is so close to the the internal carotid artery it makes operating that much more difficult. All these terms just make my head spin. Talking to a neurosurgeon is like talking to someone speaking chinese.( I don't understand either.) I usually have Kevin at my appointments and he speaks with the doctor's in layman's terms and then translates to me in the english language.

My appointment is tomorrow and I have decided to just go ahead and go through with the surgery. I feel like at this point surgery would have a higher sucess rate than just medication therapy alone.

The surgery is slick they can either go through your sinus cavity which is the way that I had it done last time or they can go through your upper lip which I am not too sure about. The best part about the surgery is you loose your taste buds for about 2 weeks, you get to throw up several quarts of blood, you get to have great nurses who give you heavy doses of pain pills to swallow immediately coming out of surgery, you can't complain about the hearty meal consisting of meat loaf, potatoes, rolls, and a chocolate piece of cake that's brought to your room after only being there for less than an hour after coming out of surgery, the stay in the ICU is quite relaxing with all of the monitors, and nurses coming in to bother you every few hours. What's not to love? I was thinking that staying at the Opryland hotel sounded nice but you know for the price I think Vanderbilt sounds like a better resort. Maybe they even have in-room massage services available. Wait... what am I thinking. Why would I need a massage? Being in a hospital bed is just like getting a swedish massage but better. Your body feels so good just lying in a bed that was designed for a midget, and the 10 threadcount sheets I bet you didn't even know they had such a thing did you? Neither did I. Oh, last but not least I even have a $5.00 gift card to the hospital cafeteria. Life doesn't get any sweeter than this. Not even the diarrhea that I have had my hands in for the last several days can compare to the gift card, (you gotta love sick babies and 2 at a time is even better) YES! Vanderbilt here I come......

Since I am superwoman I can handle this and everything else that comes my way. Bring it on Clark Kent! I dare you.

2 comments:

Brianne said...

Oh Trisha, I forgot about that dang tumor you still have. I will pray for you and I hope things go well. good luck!

Nova said...

I hope things go well for you. We will keep you in our prayers.