Thursday, March 19, 2009

Happy Match day!


Does he look excited or what?
The family
Lt to Rt
Grandma, Trisha's mom, Trisha, Kevin, Aunt Sharon, Uncle Mark, and Aunt Dee
middle hiding would be Kelsie

Well, at this time last year we were just finding out where we would be spending the next four years of our lives for Kevin's residency training.

One day in the month of March is a much anticipated day for fourth year medical students, and they refer to the date as "match day" This is an annual event that is coordinated by the National Resident Matching Program. Approximately 16,000 fourth-year medical students across the country will receive their residency assignments simultaneously on Match Day. All across the nation, the fourth year medical students will all open up an envelope at 12:00 EST. It can't even be opened a minute before 12:00 EST.

The students rank their top programs, and then the programs also rank the students. It all goes into a computer, and then the computer generates a letter telling the student where they will or will not be going. (unfortunately, there are students who do not match anywhere) It's a very complicated process if you ask me.

Kevin interviewed at nine programs including Utah, Michigan, Tennessee, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, New Mexico, and Wisconsin.

Truthfully, in my mind there wasn't anywhere that I thought that we would be going to except to the Mayo clinic in Minnesota.

The letter was presented, and Kevin opened it up. He kind of read the letter to himself, and kept saying"wow, I am really surprised, I didn't think we would end up here." We had our family with us at the ceremony, and of course everyone was dying to know where we were going. He finally piped up and told us that we were headed to Tennessee. I think I just froze in my seat, and didn't say a whole lot from that time forward but that's okay. All is well, and now I can't imagine my life not being in Tennessee. To be honest, I am kind of glad that I am not in Minnesota enduring the freezing temperatures. It's weird how things work out sometimes.

3 comments:

Katelyn Marie Taylor said...

Well I am so glad that day was the reason you came here! I wouldn't have my beautiful family here!!! I love you all so much and am happy to have you in my life.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you're happy there! I would pick TN over MN, I think. I don't like cold. I saw the pic you posted of Alyssa on a day that school was canceled. It looked really nice there.

Nashville Stolle said...

My brother celebrated match day this year! He's off to Tulsa. I am oh-so-glad you came here!