Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Life is just peachy!


Well I did break the news to Kevin about the car and he wasn't too happy with me but I don't think that he is going to find a new wife. Life has been a little overwhelming at our house this week but things have to start getting better right? Today my cute mom sent me a package and inside were peaches. Not just any peaches but the best peaches that are grown by my cute Grandpa in Perry, Utah.Home of the famous fruitway. My Grandpa is 78 years old and still farms his life away. He is so hard working and you never hear him complain about his work in the orchards. I don't care what anyone says about Georgia peaches being the best, they do not compare at all compared to my Grandpa's peaches. This month in Perry, Utah is peach days because September is the month when the peaches are ripe. I knew that I wouldn't be home to enjoy my peaches with milk so I purchased some peaches at Publix. I couldn't believe that I was actually paying for peaches. Talk about the worst peaches I have ever eaten. Now I get to enjoy a really bowl of peaches with milk. (YUM) I would share some peaches with you but seeing how my mom only sent a few I am going to savor every bite. About a year ago the local paper came and did a cute article about my Grandma and Grandma Valcarce. Here are parts of that article. Thanks Mom for sending me the peaches, you are just PEACHY KEEN!

P.S. The picture is off my Grandpa in his orchard. Notice the glow of those beautiful peaches!

PERRY -- Many people will never have the pleasure of eating a tree-ripened peach so sun-warmed and juicy that it runs down your arm and drips on your shoes, but so sweet that you don't mind the mess.

John Valcarce, a 77-year-old fruit farmer from Brigham City, thinks that's a shame, and he and his wife, Shirley, are doing their best to fix it. By 7 a.m. every day during harvest season, they're out in the orchard picking enough ripened peaches to sell that day at their roadside stand.

"I've been selling here for 45 years," Valcarce said of his tidy red, white and blue fruit stand at 2250 South and U.S. Highway 89. "I guess I ought to put my name on it one of these days."

Even without a sign, loyal customers know where to find him. A woman from Arizona stopped by to pick up 10 boxes on her way back to Scottsdale last Thursday. Valcarce said they've taken orders for people from Alaska, Hawaii and even Georgia, the Peach State.

"We've had some people who have never seen a peach hanging on a tree before" he said. "They like to go in the orchard and pick some."

Most of the time, however, the two septuagenarians do all the picking, pruning, spraying and thinning with some help from their children, grandchildren and a few local teenagers.

"I'll be doing this for as long as I can," Valcarce said, "but that's up to the man above."

Shirley, who is known in the family as the "Peach Queen," remembers that not too long ago, the mountainside above Perry was covered with orchards, and the section of Highway 89 that ran below was lined with mom-and-pop fruit stands just like hers.

This season, only a couple dozen stands are open, subdivisions with names like Cherry Ridge and Orchard Creek have replaced most of the fruit farms, and fewer people than ever will taste a tree-ripened peach.

The Valcarces own 7 acres that they bought about 30 years ago for $21,000. The rest of their orchards are on rented land, but as development continues, landowners are preferring profits over peaches.

"I'll tell you something," Valcarce said. "If someone came in today and offered me $150,000 an acre, I'd sell out."

Valcarce said all his children make more money than he ever did, and while they're happy to help out, none will take the orchards over when he dies.

"It's frustrating, but there's nothing I can do about it," Valcarce said. "I bet in 10 years you won't see any fruit stands here at all."

"There's nothing," he said, "like a fresh, tree-ripened peach."

4 comments:

Braden Bell said...

Oh, that makes me so, so homesick for Utah. The other day, I was telling Mere that every year at this time I get a craving for peach cobbler with fresh peaches and she couldn't really relate--that's such a Utah thing! My grandpa grew up just down the road in Willard on an orchard.

ebudd said...

We grew up with about 8 peach trees in our yard and I LOVE peaches. Last year you gave me some of your grandpa's and they are fantastic. I've been buying some from some fruit stands and locally grown at Smith's, but I can't believe that I've been paying for peaches this summer! But, I can't do without them.

Jessica said...

Ooo,... you are making my mouth water for those peaches. Mmmm... makes me want to head out and find his orchard. Delicious! I guess I know what you mean, when my dad sold his Scripture Stickers business and I had spent my childhood with those things all over the house, it was sad the day I had to PAY for them for Robert. Oh, well.

Katie S said...

How funny - we have family in Perry. The Walker's. We get peaches from there (at least my in-laws do and we get them from them). Tey are very good. How fun!