Thursday, August 28, 2008

Alyssa happenings


What's happening to my cute six year old? Along with first grade has come a terrible attitude. Any question that I ask her is answered with a quick "what do you think?" The attitude is going to end really quick. Oh I wish that I could just protect her from the world but I know that I can't. It's time to let her grow up and stand on her own two feet. Hopefully we can lose the attitude this week.

Alyssa is loving first grade and has been so confident in learning her way around a new school, and making new friends at the same time. Alyssa loves to read, we literally spent all summer at the library. Needless to say I think Alyssa's teacher was a bit surprised when she found out that Alyssa wasn't just reading at a first grade level. She quickly gave Alyssa a computerized reading test, and found out that she was reading on a third grade level. The next day she sent Alyssa home with the book Because of Winn-Dixie. The book is 182 pages long, and I wasn't sure if she would understand it and more so be willing to read it. Well she not only understood the book but finished reading it in one day. Alyssa has a book report that she is doing about the book, and has answered the questions beautifully. I read the book for proof that she understood it, and it was pretty in depth I thought. The book also does not have any pictures in it. I am so proud of Alyssa for her willingness to learn, and to stay focused on whatever it is that she is doing.

If we can lose the attitude, life will be beautiful again!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

The attitude starts early doesn't it? A couple month's ago Emily TOLD me to get her a treat because "everyone is doing it." I tried not to laugh. Wow, sounds like she is doing really well. We love books around here too. We have loved living at the library this summer as well. Way to go Alyssa!

Nate and Di said...

I am not suprised to hear how well she is reading! When I was her teacher in Preschool she would sit and read stories to all of her friends....she was only 4! She is such a sweetheart!:)

EatRunWorkPlay said...

Your girls are so cute! I can't wait to see the twins!