Monday, December 22, 2008

The Flintstones Christmas special was on tonight and it made me start reminiscing about my childhood days. It also occured to me that my children don't even have any clue as to who the Flintones are. (although Alyssa was very observant and pointed out that the characters looked like the ones on the Fruity Pebbles box, it's a start right?) Speaking of the Flintstones what happened to all of the classic cartoons? Remember Jem and the Holograms which if I remember right was on about the same time as He Man. Jem could of kicked He Man's butt anyday!What a superwoman! I can't say enough about Jem! Moving along to the Smurf's? Who could forget these lovable blue creatures. I loved watching that show, I especially loved Smurfette. (I even dressed up like her for Halloween in preschool.) What has happened to television. The kids now days have no idea what they are missing out on.


Now moving on to toys, what were some of your favorite toys that you received as a child on Christmas?

One of my favorite things were Cabbage Patch Dolls. My first cabbage patch doll looked a lot like this one, and her name was Trixie. I just loved her. (My brother's even received boy cabbage patch dolls for Christmas) I read the following about these dolls:
What can we say? Cabbage Patch Kids defined the word "fad" in the 1980s. Every child wanted one, and it seemed that every mom and dad in the United States spent frantic days searching for Cabbage Patch Kids to put under their Christmas Trees. The dolls clicked with the general public because they were so ugly they were cute, because they were very huggable, and because the adoption aspect of the dolls was highly appealing.
Ugly, I think not! Look at how cute my trixie was. I loved her permed bangs, and her beautiful yarn locks.
Other great toys included Teddy Ruxpin, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite. How sad that our children will never get to experience playing with such great toys!
So go ahead and tell me what your favorite toys were as a child. I am dying to know!

6 comments:

Maren said...

i totally forgot about rainbow bright! too funny! and i remember my cabbage patch doll. i just loved her, but i don't remember her name.

Jessica said...

Oh, I loved Rainbow Bright and I had a cabbage patch doll, but I always wanted Teddy Ruksbin. But he was so expensive. Course so were the dolls. I also remember watching the Flintstones. I actually found quite a few of my favorite childhood Christmas specials on youtube and Emily and I have been watching them all December. Merry Christmas!

Traylor Family said...

Anyone remember Spinja's?

I loved all the ones you names, I was always a barbie girl though.

Jessica Newman said...

My Little Ponies!

Kathy said...

I remember all the simple things as well. We had polly pockets and my little ponys and also the wuzzles were a big hit too, I also enjoyed the carebear craze as well. Those were great days! We also had a mother goose that would read cassette books to us! GOOD OLE' DAYS

Katelyn Marie Taylor said...

(Kathy is my mom)I was helping her set up a blog when visiting your page - SORRY!
Merry Christmas