Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Weirdest pregnancy craving so far in Tennessee


Don't laugh this is kind of embarrassing! Here in the south everyone drinks sweet tea, and I am not talking about one or two glasses here or there, I am talking about gallons of tea. If you go out to eat, you will see pitchers and pitchers lined up of sweet tea.It's readily available everywhere you go here, and I am not exaggerating. (Even the kids here drink it with pretty much every meal.) Anyway, sweet tea here is the word. Well, I have had sweet tea on the brain for many weeks now and I have just been craving it. I envisioned this gourmet tasting drink that I wouldn't be able to stop drinking. I was even dreaming out the stuff. Well, I must confess that I tried some the other day just to see what all the hype was about sweet tea. (Meredith if you are reading this, please don't tell the bishop shhhhh) For the record, sweet tea is absolutely nasty. It literally tastes like drinking pure sugar with a slight bitter taste. I don't even know how to explain it but the stuff is horrible. I here it's an acquired taste, but it's a taste that I will never acquire which is probably a good thing. I found the following article about sweet tea that I found kind of funny.

There are two traditional iced teas in the United States. The only variation between them is sugar.

Southerners swear by their traditional sweet ice tea and drink it by the gallons. In the South, ice tea is not just a summertime drink, it is served year round with most meals. When people order tea in a Southern restaurant, chances are they will get sweet ice tea.

Outside of the southern states, iced tea is served unsweetened or “black,” and most people have never even heard of sweet tea.

6 comments:

Braden Bell said...

Sister Preece!!!! Please come see me on Sunday. Just kidding. In TN, sweet tea doesn't count on the word of wisdom. Just kidding again. We'll just write this one off to youth and inexperience :). Seriously, I accidentally had some on my mission and it was really awful stuff. I shudder at the memory. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Unknown said...

that is funny, 'sweet dreams'...

ApRil & Heath said...

Can I get me some sweet tea honey?!? I just gotta have some! You crazy Tennessee PPL!! :) Look at our trip pictures and call me!

Bethany said...

Life and learn I guess.

The Karrens said...

Tricia~ It looks like the Bishop already found out, so I won't tell him. I hope that you find a craving that you can enjoy!

Tracy said...

I have a friend who is from Utah but lives in Atlanta and he drinks the stuff like crazy. When he visits he complains because we don't have it here. Matt also drinks a ton of it when he's in the south on business. I dislike all kinds of tea and know how you feel.