Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Look Ma, no cavities!"

Well, I heard that from one of my children today while we were at the dentist's office. Alyssa, on the other hand wasn't so lucky. She has her first cavity, and I am so disgruntled over it. What can you do I guess? We have been so anal with brushing our girls teeth, and just barely started letting Alyssa brush her own teeth, and now look what happened. Alyssa not only is going to have one cavity filled on her next appointment, she is also going to have a piece of skin cut from between her two front teeth. It's the skin that connects from the top of your gum to your lip called the frenulum. This has been an evident problem since she was born. We were thinking that when her permanent front teeth came in that the skin would eventually close together but such is not the case in Alyssa's situation. Alyssa also has a lot of overcrowded teeth and needs braces. This pediatric dentist would like to start treatment for her braces in about four months. Unfortunately, you need money for braces and lots of it. I don't know that braces will be happening anytime soon. Maybe when residency is finished? Poor Alyssa started crying when the dentist told her about the surgery. She isn't too happy about having braces either but I think that she will look cute with them, (even if she looks like Darla from Finding Nemo, that's okay. We will still love her anyway)
Okay, now I better go clean my house. The laundry is calling my name once again.

4 comments:

Chalen said...

Ethan had his first cavity at our last dentist appointment. Annika's teeth are practically falling out of her mouth. She had her first filling at 2 !/2 and it was a pretty bad one too. It drives me nuts because she brushes 2-3 times a day and flosses twice. There isn't much more I can do to prevent the decay. A couple of weeks ago, she ended up with an abscessed tooth that we had to have pulled. So now she is missing a molar and has a nasty looking spacer in to keep the opening there until the permanent one comes in. I am sick of it, at least the other two seem to have normal teeth.

Asher and Amy said...

Teeth are a challenge. I am the oldest and only one who has bad teeth. My brothers did not have to have braces and their teeth don't get cavities! I always had a cavity has a child and I brushed constantly. I have soft teeth. I had to have braces as well. Some have hard teeth and others do not!

The Cobells said...

I am just waiting for the dentist to say that about my kids. I really hope that my kids don't have my teeth, they were bad.

Brad said...

We are in the same boat with Madison and her teeth. It's frustrating!