Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Leah and Audrey happenings






Where has the last seventeen months gone? I ask myself that same question every morning as I look at these two sweet and busy little girls. It really just seems like yesterday that I brought them home terrified to no end, wondering how in the world I would ever be able to take care of two babies at a time. Now seventeen months later here we are.

I was recently going through some baby clothes and found a preemie onesie that we had for Leah. The onesie was way too big for her when we first put it on her, and now judging by her size. You would never guess that she was only 5 lbs. 9 oz. when she was born. I was so sure that she wasn't going to live very long because of her size, and would call the newborn nursery at the hospital almost daily for advice on how to care for her. I was so worried about her when she was born. She wasn't eating very well when we first brought her home, and maybe I have over compensated for that now. The girl never stops eating. I love her and all of her chubbiness.

I still get the usual questions from strangers such as "are they twins?" "are you sure they aren't identical?" "are you done having kids?" The best comment came a few weeks ago. It was made by a lady that I don't know super well but knows that our girls are twins. She wanted to know how old Leah was. I quickly replied that she was 17 months. She then asked specifically how old her twin sister was. I looked at her dumbfounded and said, "she is also 17 months, they are twins!" It was a classic blond remark, but none the less I couldn't help myself from laughing. The comment got even funnier when she then asked if they were identical twins, or mirror twins? (mirror twins? Aren't those the same as identical twins?) I said they are neither. She was beyond confused at that point, and luckily it was time for me to go home at that point in our conversation.

The biggest news happened last month when Audrey decided to finally start walking. Leah started walking when she was about fourteen months, and Audrey decided it was her time. She now walks all over the place. Her preferred form of transportation would still be to be carried, but I am trying to make her walk.

Audrey's hair is so dark and very curly. So far she is our only child that has kept their dark hair since birth. Leah's hair is very light and is very straight. Both girls are completely different in looks and personality. Audrey is much more photogenic and is always smiling. Leah will smile but it takes a lot of work to make her do so. However, one thing that will always make Leah smile is her shoes. She LOVES to wear shoes. Preferably her red sparkly wizard of oz shoes. She even takes naps in her shoes. Weird I know. I guess she takes after Kelsie with her fashion sense.

These two little girls consume a lot of my day, and not a whole lot gets done around the house. If I do manage to get something done, they are right behind me undoing whatever it was they I managed to get done. We call them our little tornadoes, and believe me they are.

I am telling you right now that pictures just don't do justice of these two. They are even cuter in person. I love having all of these girls in our house, I really do! Right now life is going great. I can't complain!

1 comment:

Braden Bell said...

Such darling little girls! I love how individual they are, and both are so adorable.

Braden actually teaches "mirror" twins at school. I have no idea how twins differentiate this way, but apparently some are identical (you look at them side by side and they look the same) and some are mirror. Mirror means it's like looking in a mirror (identical but hair parts on the opposite side, dimples on opposite sides, etc. --- equal but opposite, I guess). I had no idea....

Such a great family, and we love having you in our ward.

:) Meredith