Friday, February 19, 2010

Alyssa's got talent

About three weeks ago Alyssa came home from school and asked me if she had any talents. I started telling her about all of the talents I thought that she had, and her face immediately lights up as she says, "I know, I jump rope" I tell her that's a great talent, and after we finish talking about talents, she throws a paper at me about the upcoming school talent show. She asked me if I thought that she could be in the talent show, and I tell her that of course she can. After she repeatedly says "really" over and over again, she decides that jump roping is indeed what she is going to do. For the several weeks leading up to the talent show, she practices and practices jump roping. She had three nights of talent show practice, and 1 night of rehearsal. Alyssa worked so hard on this, and I was so proud of her for wanting to do this all on her own. Anyone who knows Alyssa knows that she is painfully shy, and I knew that being in the school talent show would really help boost her confidence. You should also know that when Alyssa first picked up her jump rope, she could barely jump. She taught herself in three weeks how to jump rope backwards, how to jump rope on one foot, how to stop the jump rope, seriously I was impressed. There was absolutely no coercing from Kevin and I, she did this all on her own.

Last night was the talent show, and I got a little nervous as I thought about Alyssa entering onto the stage. I wondered if she would end up getting stage freight, if she would mess up, and wondered how she would hold up. All through dinner, she kept saying that she was so nervous. She practiced right before we left our house, and just kept stumbling. At our dinner prayer, I just prayed that she wouldn't be nervous when it was time for the actual performance, and that she would be able to concentrate on her jump roping. Well, let's just say that I was so pleased with her performance. I lost all composure as I watched my sweet, shy, not so little,girl perform like a super star. Her school has got some serious talent, the other performers were just as wonderful. What a great night.

Here is our jump roping video, hope you like it. I know that we do.

3 comments:

Nashville Stolle said...

What a brave kid- the thought of doing that now makes me nervous! Rowan was pretty fascinated with the video so of course that means Alyssa was AWESOME!

The Cobells said...

Wow, she is really good. I don't know if I could get up there.

kendra and joe said...

Trish, that's a sweet heart warming story :)