Wednesday, June 25, 2008

These pesky bugs!

So when I was little, I suffered from mosquito bites like crazy. I would just itch them basically until I could itch no more. When we moved to Salt Lake I was so grateful that we didn't have mosquito's. Well, let's just say that we are making up for that now that we are in Tennessee. We not only have mosquito's but we have a lovely bug called chiggers. Chigger bites are awful to say the least. At first I was convinced that I had chicken pox or something of that nature. I had no idea even what a chigger was. I also wasn't aware that you cannot sit on the grass here because of chiggers. (that would have been nice to know) I had to look up exactly how you describe chiggers and this is what I found along with some pictures of them. Common chiggers, also known as “jiggers” and “redbugs,” are tiny pests which belie their size in the amount of torment they cause humans. Chiggers attach themselves to tender skin areas to feed. The bites cause intense itching and small reddish welts. Because chiggers are so small, they are hard to avoid. Most persons cannot see them without a magnifying glass and so the bites may be the only indication that the bugs have infested a certain area. My poor girls also have these bites all over their bodies. Kelsie made up a song about chiggers. It goes something like this:

I have chiggers, yeah yeah yeah

I like chiggers, yeah yeah yeah

She is a little on the not so normal side if you ask me. Chiggers a
re AWFUL!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

love the new background!!! And I am so sorry you have a chigger problem...they sound awful. Does bug spray help?

Papa Paradigm said...

That's disgusting!
Really cute background. I love it.
I just inspected your old apartment today. Looks great, glad to see you didn't trash it :) I bet you just miss it so much :)

Jessica said...

I love your background too. So cute! I have had chigger bites from visiting family. They are awful! I believe there is chigger powder you can put on your ankles to keep them away. So sorry about your bug bites!

Chalen said...

No fun!! My kids are still missing playing with yours. Eliza told me yesterday that she wanted to drive to Kelsie in one hour and have a sleepover and come home the next morning.